Endodontic care is used to treat issues affecting the inside of your tooth. This includes tooth decay, cracks, chips, and other damage. During your consultation at Ross Dental Studio, we will examine your teeth to determine the underlying cause of your symptoms and the best method of treatment. In some cases, this may include a root canal procedure.
Symptoms of a Root Canal Problem
If you’re experiencing symptoms that could indicate you have a root canal infection, contact our dentist right away for an appointment. They’ll examine your mouth and determine whether you have an infected tooth or if there’s another cause for the painful symptoms you’re experiencing.
Some of the most common signs that you might need a root canal include the following:
- Severe sensitivity to hot or cold foods or beverages
- Swelling and soft gums near the affected area of your mouth
- Pain when chewing food or biting down
- Unexplained toothache
- Darkened tooth whose discoloration that doesn’t respond to whitening treatments
If you’ve experienced any of these symptoms, schedule an appointment with our dentist as soon as possible to get an accurate diagnosis.
Root Canal Procedure
The procedure itself is very similar to having a cavity filled, except we are treating the nerve and surrounding soft tissue of the tooth as well. Your dentist in Prosper, TX, will administer local anesthesia to numb the area and ensure your comfort throughout the procedure. This anesthetic will subside after a couple of hours, and you will be able to enjoy a normal day! While the procedure itself is similar in many ways to a filling, the recovery period is much different.
During the procedure, the dentist will remove the infected pulp and nerve inside the tooth and clean the area thoroughly to make sure there are no signs of infection left in the mouth. After your treatment is complete, your dentist may place a temporary filling in the tooth to protect it from damage. If the injury to the nerves and pulp is severe enough, we may need to place a dental crown over the tooth to restore its structure and integrity.
It may take some time for the tooth to feel normal again, so most patients will need to schedule a follow-up appointment to check their healing progress. In some cases, we may prescribe medication to help manage discomfort or pain after a root canal.
Benefits of Root Canal Therapy
Here are a few benefits of root canal therapy:
- Saving a natural tooth avoids the need for a dental implant or other restorative treatment down the line. Your jawbone needs stimulation from the roots of your teeth to stay strong and healthy. Removing a tooth and its root reduces the amount of stimulation the jaw receives, which may lead to bone degeneration over time.
- A root canal removes bacteria and infection from the tooth so that it does not spread to other areas of the body through the bloodstream.
- Teeth that are damaged with decay can become very painful. Getting a root canal eliminates the pain associated with an infected tooth while causing little to no discomfort during the procedure. Patients who need a root canal often experience relief within a day or two following the procedure.
- In addition to eliminating the pain and discomfort of an infected tooth, root canal therapy helps strengthen teeth and prevent further damage. Symptoms of an infection, such as discoloration and swelling, may disappear shortly after the procedure. Tooth sensitivity caused by nerve damage may also be reduced after root canal therapy.
- Getting a root canal enables patients to keep their smile as healthy as possible for as long as possible. This procedure is done to salvage your tooth rather than replace it, meaning you can maintain your normal oral hygiene routine and avoid complications that may result from extraction.
To learn more about our root canal in Prosper, TX, or to schedule a consultation with us, call Ross Dental Studio at (214) 225-2358 or visit us at 2111 E. University Dr. Ste. 20, Prosper, TX 75078. We’re always happy to answer your questions.